The PG Diploma in Game Design course at ICAT is a 1 year, full-time program that offers intense practice to bring out the Designer, Artist, Animator, Creator, Director, Modeller, Illustrator and Instructor in you.
The course covers all the industry-standard concepts, techniques, software and tools that are required to efficiently design games for different mediums like PC, Console and Mobiles.
Need to Study Game Design
Game industry has evolved from penny arcade in to one of the billion dollar entertainment industries, providing thousands of job opportunities across the world. Unlike the gamers in the past, today people not only play games for entertainment but to gain knowledge, to get trained in specific skill and for education purpose. Whatever the reason may be, today Gaming companies have ample work in hand that creates a demand for skilled and creative individuals who can work on different aspects of game design ranging from creating game art to creating memorable game experience. Such skilled designers can only be groomed through a systematic training from experts.
The PG Diploma in Game Design at ICAT is a program that offers expertise learning and triggers your creative skills. It provides practical-oriented learning through which students are made to dwell through the concepts and techniques, and are prepared to face the real-time challenges posed by the industry.
What will You Learn?
The course will help you to:
- Understand the underlying principles of game design and testing fundamentals.
- Generate game ideas about a given topic or situation, or to develop creative ways to solve a problem.
- Devise missions, challenges, or puzzles to be encountered in game play.
- Create core game features including storyline, role-play mechanics, and character biographies for your game.
- Develop technical and creative writing skills to devise script and Game design document.
- Perform pre-production planning tasks including storyboarding, creating flow board and scripting interactive story.
- Design different types of games Including video games, board games, carnival games, 2D and 3D games.
- Use the game design concepts related to applications on diverse platforms such as Mobile, PC, web, Xbox, PS3, Nitendo.
- Create Characters, Costumes and Props designs along with Level Designing and Interface Designing.
- Develop in-game content through low-poly modelling, unwrapping and texturing, rigging for game engines, and creating collision models.
- Develop in-game content by implementing "rag doll" physics support, creating vehicles, and exporting the game assets to different formats and engines.
- Use Adobe Photoshop and Flash scripting in designing.
- Understand the production process, project and team management techniques and the business of games.
- Create production schedules, prototyping goals, and communication plans in collaboration with other team members.
The course includes 6 distinctive modules that are designed to prepare the students for latest industry demands.
|FND401||Foundation Studies: Fundamentals of Game design & Visualization|
|SPP401||Idea Generation & Development : Rapid Prototyping|
|SPP402||Specialist Practice I: Game Engine Fundamentals|
|SPP403||Specialist Practice II: 3D Game Making Techniques|
|SPP404||Specialist Practice III: UI/UX Design|
The learning outcome of each module is assessed through periodical Formative Assessments (min. of 3), Assignments, Research Works, and through the originality, innovation, and product of the final Project. Also, continuous monitoring of each student is done throughout the year through peer assessments and internal/external reviews.
During the course, you will be exposed to latest industry trends through Workshops, Seminars, and Guest Lectures from professionals in the field; Industrial Visits to game related industries; Real-time and Professional Practices at leading organizations; and live streaming of global Seminars.
ICAT offers its students with exclusive Game Machines equipped with selected titles for the purpose of study, Photography studio, exclusive Art studio, Live Sketching rooms, and dedicated department that works exclusively for the production of best-in-class game design projects.
Preparation for Employment
The course prepares you for a perfect employment through real-time, industry-standard project works and through the motivation to work with external clients. Above all, your portfolio will be sent to production houses for review and for enhancing the chances of winning a job.
The PG Diploma in Game Design at ICAT opens the doors of esteem opportunities in Gaming companies, animation studios and educational institutions. Wherever you choose to work, ICAT’s long-term relationships with top companies in field will help you start your passionate career. Our placement services will help you grow in your career, even after you become our alumni.
What can You be?
On completing this course, you can be:
- 3D Low Polygon Modeler
- Texture Artist
- 3D Game Artist
- 3D Environment Artist
- Character Animator
- Effects Animator
- Technical Artist
- Game Designer
- Level Designer
- Play Tester
- Experience Designer
- Character Artist
- Environment Artist
- 3D Modeler
- Creative Director
- 2D & 3D Artist
- Graphic Artist
- Graphic Designer
- Animation Director
- Texture Artist
- Effects Animator
Where can You be?
On completing this course, you can work for:
- Web and Mobile Game Development companies
- PC and Console Game Development companies
- Graphic Design companies
- 3D Animation Studios
- Multimedia Educational Firms
- Freelance Game Art and Designer
Through 100% placement, we introduce all our students to the industry of their passion. With the knowledge they have gained at ICAT, the students reach more heights in their field of work. Just to mention, many of our students are now a part of Hollywood, Bollywood and Kollywood movies, and have worked in many famous android and other OS games.
Why Choose ICAT to Study the PG Game Design Course?
Backing the responsibility of uplifting the Digital and Design Media industry in India, ICAT has ventured into various faces of the industry through its educational services. Not only venturing, ICAT has been successful in offering best talents to the industry, who act as the backbone of the industry.
With all this in place, there is a set recognition in the industry for the students of ICAT, with respect to their skills and performance.
Pursue at ICAT
Here are few highlighting points that insist why you should pursue the course at ICAT.
- Curriculum that prepares students for various related opportunities
- 100% Placement
- Highly experienced staffs and international guest lectures
- Collaboration with more than 50 major gaming companies including EA, Ubisoft and Game Loft
- Project-based learning environment, focusing mainly on skills and knowledge required to find immediate employment after finishing the course
- Prepares students to participate in local and international Game Design competitions, such as Dare Do Be Digital
- Encourages students to attend all major game industry related events in India, including NASCOM's Game Developers Conference
- Well supported and guided Project work
- Design portfolios highlighting individual strength of each student is sent to production houses for review
- Students of a batch are allocated a Personal Mentor, who will guide a student through the Personal Development Planning process.
- Each student will be allocated a supervisor for their studies to provide support for their project and dissertation.
- A separate Students Service Desk is managed at each location with a Student Advisor as part of the desk. The Student Advisor provides guidance and advice about finance, study skills, personal problems and many other matters.
- The Student Service Desk organizes club activities and other get together.
- The Student Service Desk acts as a contact point for parents/Guardians and also they organize for liaison meeting between staff and students.
- Dedicated, Spacious classrooms for each department
- Membership with British Council Library, American Library
- Library with essential readings, reference books, latest journals and magazines
- Locker facilities for students to store their study material safe
- Personal tutoring space, where students can interact with the dedicated personal tutor to discuss their projects and ideas
- Exclusively designed space for students to work in groups and also as individuals, based on project types
- Common working zone, where students can work along with other department students
- Students lounge, for students to relax and recreate
Having offered around 60,000 skilled professionals to the Design and Media field, ICAT is one of the first places for any organization to look out for potential employees. The placement cell at ICAT works closely with all the students until they get placed in the field of their passion.
So far, the Placement Cell is proud to maintain a record of 100% placement and in Top Companies in India.
During the tenure at the college, each student is motivated to participate in National Level and International competitions, where they can showcase their talents and personally understand where they stand among the students of rest of the world. In this regard, our students have so far won numerous awards in both National and International Competitions.
With ICAT, you have the opportunity to study at any of our 3 state-of-the-art campuses located at the Shores of Bay of Bengal (Chennai), Silicon Valley of India (Bangalore), and the City of Pearls (Hyderabad).
The ICAT campuses are located at the heart of the Capital cities of three important states in South India. The strategically located campuses expose the students to eminent landmarks/events of the metropolitan cities, which is very important for the Creators of Tomorrow to understand the trending world.
The campuses of ICAT College are loaded with spacious classrooms, library with essential readings, locker facilities for students, air-conditioned halls, personal tutoring space, common working zone, students’ lounge and so on.
ICAT Design & Media College
153, Santhome High Road,
Mylapore, Chennai - 600 004.
044 - 4293 4293,
+91 - 95001 28555
ICAT Design & Media College
424, Bommanahalli, Hosur Main Road,
Bangalore - 560 068.
080 - 4110 7755,
+91 - 96111 73607
Get Admission/Fees Details
* Required Fields