The PG Diploma in Interior Design course at ICAT is a 1 year, full-time program. The program is highly placement-oriented that is sure to find you a passionate career as Furniture / Set / Retail Designer, Space Planner, Lighting / Color Consultant and so on.
The course teaches all the industry-standard concepts and techniques right from drawing and design fundamentals to building typologies, all related software/tool, acoustics, lighting, parametric modelling, and client presentations.
Need to Study Interior Design
The field of Interior Designing has seen a tremendous growth as the modern society has understood the influence of its aesthetic appeal in setting the mood of the place. As interior designing is not just about the looks but is more about the feel of the place, space management and much more, it requires specialist skills. To procure such specialist skills, you need to undergo a professional training and practice the learning in a highly-equipped environment.
The PG Diploma in Interior Design at ICAT is a program that offers all these. It imparts the learning from professional hands in a highly-equipped environment to assist students in becoming a skilled Interior Designer, who can serve any related industry.
What will You Learn?
The course will help you to:
- Learn the evolution of design, basic design principles, design philosophies, and other attributes of a good design.
- Conceptualize an idea in terms of designing and space planning.
- Explore your artistic skills in different media through proper understanding of anatomy, and transportation and landscape representation.
- Practice Pointillism, Line Rendering, Doodling, Outdoor Sketching, Typography and Calligraphy.
- Learn ideation, concept generation and visualization through Mind map, Mood board and so on.
- Understand designing of products and furniture, and digital designing.
- Understand the nuances of building construction, from basic floor layout to the superstructure including foundation systems, masonry, load-bearing wall systems, stairs, arches, lintels, carpentry, joinery, roof systems and coverings, painting, plastering, thermal protection and so on.
- Learn about building materials and explore the possibilities of using particular materials for particular spaces.
- Understand about the services like damp proofing, fire protection, water supply, drainage, ventilation, false ceiling, flooring, electrical works, plumbing, telephone and internet connections and mechanical movement systems.
- Create service layouts to support the technical drawings.
- Perform costing and estimation for a designed space with an understanding of the current market values.
- Use the software/tools like AutoCadd, Photoshop, 3ds Max, Sketch Up and InDesign.
- Create a portfolio matching the professional industry presentation standards and focusing individual’s job goals as an Interior Designer.
- Specialize in EVS, Acoustics, Interior and Exterior Landscape, Lighting, AI, Furniture Design, Furnishing and Accessories, Digital Design and Parametric Modelling.
- Create a scaled model of Residential/ Commercial/ Retail/ Hospitality interior space with detailed research pack, tech pack, material board, mood board, color board, story board, client brief, project brief, mounted sheets of the concept and design boards.
The course includes 6 distinctive modules that are designed to prepare the students for latest industry demands.
|FND401||Foundation course - Art and Visualization|
|SPP401||Ideation and Design Development|
|SPP402||Specialist practice I-Building Construction and Material Study|
|SPP403||Specialist practice II-Services, Estimation and BOQ|
|SPP404||Specialist practice III-Portfolio and Specialization|
The learning outcome of each module is assessed through periodical Formative Assessments (min. of 3), Assignments, Research Works, and through the originality, innovation, and product of the final Project. Also, continuous monitoring of each student is done throughout the year through peer assessments and internal/external reviews.
During the course, you will be exposed to latest industry trends through Workshops, Seminars, and Guest Lectures from professionals in the field; Industrial Visits to interior design related industries; Real-time and Professional Practices at leading organizations; and live streaming of global Seminars.
ICAT offers its students with dedicated Interior Design classroom with digital equipments, air-conditioned Studio with drawing boards and work tables, Interior workshop with industry-standard machineries, Interior Scaled Model Making workshop for miniature modeling, and access to Art studio.
Preparation for Employment
The course prepares you for a perfect employment through real-time, industry-standard project works and through the motivation to work with external clients. Above all, your portfolio will be sent to production houses for review and for enhancing the chances of winning a job.
The PG Diploma in Interior Design at ICAT trains you in an esteem way to start your career in leading positions at best companies and to freelance your skills. Whatever career path you choose, ICAT’s long-term relationships with top companies in field will help you start your passionate career. Our placement services will help you grow in your career, even after you become our alumni.
What can You be?
On completing this course, you can be:
- Furniture Designer
- Acoustic Consultant
- Office Space Planner
- Product Designer
- Retail Designer
- Exhibition Space Planner
- Furnishing & Color Consultant
- Interior Lighting Consultant
- Project Manager
- Set Designer
Where can You be?
On completing this course, you can work for:
- Architectural, Civil Engineering and Interior Design firms
- Furniture / Modular Furniture factories
- Product Design firms
- Education sectors
- Real Estate
- Hospitality industries
- Independent Design consultancies
- Theatrical Set Designing firms
Through 100% placement, we introduce all our students to the industry of their passion. With the knowledge they have gained at ICAT, the students reach more heights in their field of work. Just to mention, many of our students are now a part of Hollywood, Bollywood and Kollywood movies, and have worked in many famous android and other OS games.
Why Choose ICAT to Study the PG Interior Design Course?
While most educationists were dreaming about the need for regular mode of learning in the Design and Media field, ICAT realised the dream by offering regular, specialised courses in early 2000.
From then on, ICAT introduced unique courses to address all the sectors of the Design field. The PG programs at ICAT prepare the students to be highly skillful in the area of specialization.
Pursue at ICAT
Here are few highlighting points that insist why you should pursue the course at ICAT.
- Job-oriented curriculum
- 100% Placement
- Labs with all necessary equipments and software
- Constructive teaching methodologies
- Passionate faculties
- Industry professionals as Guest lecturers to acquaint students with industry requirements
- Well supported and guided Project work
- Portfolios highlighting individual strength of each student is sent to production houses for review
- Students of a batch are allocated a Personal Mentor, who will guide a student through the Personal Development Planning process.
- Each student will be allocated a supervisor for their studies to provide support for their project and dissertation.
- A separate Students Service Desk is managed at each location with a Student Advisor as part of the desk. The Student Advisor provides guidance and advice about finance, study skills, personal problems and many other matters.
- The Student Service Desk organizes club activities and other get together.
- The Student Service Desk acts as a contact point for parents/Guardians and also they organize for liaison meeting between staff and students.
- Dedicated, Spacious classrooms for each department
- Membership with British Council Library, American Library
- Library with essential readings, reference books, latest journals and magazines
- Air-conditioned hall for seminars and workshops
- Locker facilities for students to safeguard their study materials.
- Personal tutoring space, where students can interact with the dedicated personal tutor to discuss their projects and ideas
- Exclusively designed space for students to work in groups and also as individuals, based on project types
- Common working zone, where students can work along with other department students
- Students' lounge for students to relax and recreate
Having offered around 60,000 skilled professionals to the Design and Media field, ICAT is one of the first places for any organization to look out for potential employees. The placement cell at ICAT works closely with all the students until they get placed in the field of their passion.
So far, the Placement Cell is proud to maintain a record of 100% placement and in Top Companies in India.
During the tenure at the college, each student is motivated to participate in National Level and International competitions, where they can showcase their talents and personally understand where they stand among the students of rest of the world. In this regard, our students have so far won numerous awards in both National and International Competitions.
With ICAT, you have the opportunity to study at any of our 3 state-of-the-art campuses located at the Shores of Bay of Bengal (Chennai), Silicon Valley of India (Bangalore), and the City of Pearls (Hyderabad).
The ICAT campuses are located at the heart of the Capital cities of three important states in South India. The strategically located campuses expose the students to eminent landmarks/events of the metropolitan cities, which is very important for the Creators of Tomorrow to understand the trending world.
The campuses of ICAT College are loaded with spacious classrooms, library with essential readings, locker facilities for students, air-conditioned halls, personal tutoring space, common working zone, students’ lounge and so on.
ICAT Design & Media College
153, Santhome High Road,
Mylapore, Chennai - 600 004.
044 - 4293 4293,
+91 - 95001 28555
ICAT Design & Media College
424, Bommanahalli, Hosur Main Road,
Bangalore - 560 068.
080 - 4110 7755,
+91 - 96111 73607
Get Admission/Fees Details
* Required Fields